Galloway's APUSH Class: '08 - '09.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Galloway's APUSH Class: '08 - '09.

Ms. Galloway's APUSH class.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.

Go down 
+3
Tiffany Gu
melanieyuen
William Chau
7 posters
AuthorMessage
William Chau
Administrator
Administrator
William Chau

Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Empty
PostSubject: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 6:54 pm

lgalloway@ausd.net wrote:
Chapter 1

Objectives:

A thorough study of Ch. 1 should enable the student to understand:

1. The history of the Native Americans before the arrival of Columbus.
2. What the New World was like at the time of Christopher Columbus.
3. The ways in which the peoples of the New and Old Worlds affected each other when their societies came in contact in the late fifteenth century
4. The changes taking place in Western Europe that resulted in widespread interest in colonization and the connections between what was happening in the Americas and what was happening in the rest of the world.
5. The colonial policies of each nation involved and the effect each had on the future of the Americas
6. The reasons for the rivalry between Spain and England during the sixteen and seventeenth centuries, and the impact of that rivalry on international affairs
7. The African culture from which slaves were taken and the early development of slavery
8. The role of religion in European efforts to colonize the New World
9. The ways in which the experiences of the English in Ireland influenced their efforts to colonize North America
10. The first efforts of the English to establish a colony, and the reasons for their failure.
11. The host of connections that existed between what happened in the Americas and what was happening in the rest of the world.

Main Themes:

1. That the colonization of the Americas was a collision of culture – the European and Native American – that had been developing along completely different lines for thousands of years.
2. How a variety of ambitions and impulses (such as international rivalries, the quest for wealth and personal glory, and a desire to spread the Christian religion) moved individuals and nations to colonize the New World.
3. The motives of the colonizers and their experiences prior to immigrating shaped their attitudes towards Native American cultures
4. How these same motives and experiences helped determine the sociopolitical arrangements in the new colonies
5. The ways the Old World influenced the history of the New.

Chapter 2

Objectives:

A thorough study of Ch. 2 should enable the student to understand:

1. The differences between the Jamestown and Plymouth colonies in terms of objectives, types of settlers, early problems, and reasons for success
2. How the lives of the colonists and Indians were shaped and transformed through biological and cultural exchange
3. How the lives of colonists were shaped by contact with Native Americans and how the Indians’ world was also transformed
4. The causes and significance of Bacon’s Rebellion
5. The background of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and its founders, the Puritans.
6. The conditions in Puritan Massachusetts Bay that spawned such dissenters as Roger Williams and Anne Hutchinson
7. The expansion of the original settlements and the influence of the New World frontier on the colonist
8. The significance of the Caribbean colonies in the British – American colonial system
9. How the Spanish colonies in the Caribbean and in North American continued to flourish and the impact this had on the British American colonial system
10. The efforts made by the Dutch to establish a colony, and the reasons for their failure
11. The reasons for the founding of each of the original thirteen colonies
12. The early economic, religious, and political factors in the colonies that tended to produce sectional differences.
13. The effect of the Glorious Revolution on the development of the American colonies.

Main Themes:

1. The origins and objectives of England’s first settlements in the New World
2. How and why English colonies – mainland and Caribbean – differed from on each other in purpose and administration
3. The problems that arose as colonies matured and expanded, and how colonists attempted to solve them
4. How the Spanish colonial system functioned and thrived, and its impact on the British colonies
5. The impact that events in England had on the development of colonies in British America

Chapter 3:

Objectives:

A thorough study of Chapter 3 should enable the student to understand:

1. the disagreement among historians concerning the origins of slavery
2. The sources of colonial labor, including indentured servants, women and imported Africans
3. Immigration patters and their effect on colonial development
4. How patterns of birth and death influenced and reflected cultural development in the colonies
5. The ways in which factors of soil and climate determined the commercial and agricultural development of the colonies, despite the crown’s attempts to influence production.
6. The emergence of the plantation system and its impact on southern society
7. The New England witchcraft episode as the reflection of the Puritan society
8. The reasons for the appearance of a variety of religious sects in the colonies and the effect of the Great Awakening on the colonists
9. The beginning of colonial industry and commerce and the early attempts at regulation by Parliament
10. The ways in which colonial literature, education, science, law and justice were diverging from their English antecedents.

Main Themes;

1. How the colonial population grew and diversified
2. How the colonial economy expanded to meet the needs of their rapidly growing population
3. The emergence of a particularly American “mind and spirit”

Chapter 4

Objectives:

A thorough study of Ch. 4 should enable the student to understand

1. The primary reasons for the differences between colonial Americans and the British government that resulted in a clash of interests
2. The colonial attitudes toward England and toward other colonies before the Great War for the empire
3. The causes of the Great War for empire, how it became an international conflict and the reasons for the French defeat
4. The effects o the war on American colonists and on the status of the colonies within the British Empire
5. The options for dealing with the colonies available to the British in 1763, and the reasons for adopting the policies that they chose to implement.
6. The importance of the series of crises from the Sugar Act through the Coercive acts, and how each crisis changed colonial attitudes toward the mother country
7. The change in American attitudes toward Parliament, the English constitution, and the king. What such slogans as “No taxation w/o representation” really meant.
8. The significance of the convening of the First Continental Congress, and what it accomplished.
9. Lexington and Concord – who fired the first shot, and what does it really matter?

Main Theme?

1. How it was that the colonists who, for the most part, had enjoyed benefits unattainable by their European counterparts rose in rebellion against the nation that was responsible for their circumstances.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=698113832
melanieyuen
The Greatest
The Greatest
melanieyuen

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 8:43 pm

WAIT WHAT?
whats this for?
where'd you get this information?! =O
Back to top Go down
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=653907366&ref=profile
William Chau
Administrator
Administrator
William Chau

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Ms. Galloway emailed me. That's why it's quoted. That's why we have a forum.
Back to top Go down
melanieyuen
The Greatest
The Greatest
melanieyuen

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 8:48 pm

OMG DUDE THIS IS SO HELPFUL NO SARCASM
Back to top Go down
William Chau
Administrator
Administrator
William Chau

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 8:57 pm

I KNOW, RIGHT? SO COOL, SO COOL.

Let's form a study group!
Back to top Go down
Tiffany Gu
Jr. APUSHer
Jr. APUSHer
Tiffany Gu

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:06 am

I need to sneeze.

Thankssssss Will. cat
Back to top Go down
William Chau
Administrator
Administrator
William Chau

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:16 am

Thanks for what?
Back to top Go down
Tiffany Gu
Jr. APUSHer
Jr. APUSHer
Tiffany Gu

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:27 am

For the masses of useful information in the first post! king
Back to top Go down
Sophia Chung
Jr. APUSHer
Jr. APUSHer

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:43 pm

Thanks for posting this!!

And you know how for our chapter notes we have to write the theme in the left column? Are we supposed to choose from the themes that are listed here on what William posted?

And also, on the syllabus Ms. Galloway says, "Every assignment will have to have one image." So only one image for each chapter?
Back to top Go down
AndyLiang

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 2:00 pm

wait, we're supposed to write the theme in the left hand column?
Back to top Go down
William Chau
Administrator
Administrator
William Chau

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm writing themes and questions on the left hand column and making several images. I think it's more than one image per chapter. I'm not exactly sure. Either way, the images are supposed to help you and just having ONE image per chapter maybe difficult because each chapter covers a broad range of different topics/people.

EDIT:
I'll work on making this a checklist when I have time.
Back to top Go down
melanieyuen
The Greatest
The Greatest
melanieyuen

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 pm

wait the image is just like, the bacon and the berkeley bear rihgt? just like for ourselves? and themes do you think were gonna have to label them like how she did in the example
Back to top Go down
William Chau
Administrator
Administrator
William Chau

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 6:02 pm

I don't understand the labeling she put but yeah, I'm labeling my themes the same way.
Back to top Go down
Yufei Fu
Yufei Fu

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 7:31 pm

wait are you doing the one pager format?
Back to top Go down
Sophia Chung
Jr. APUSHer
Jr. APUSHer

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 9:08 pm

OK thanks, William!

Melanie: Yea the image is for ourselves. And I'm not sure if we have to do the notes exactly like she did, because she told me I could just make my notes the way I did over the summer, because she approved of my format. But I'm going to do it her way anyway, and as for themes, I'm confused about where we get them.. but I will ask her tomorrow.

Yufei: I'm pretty sure we follow the notes format on the syllabus (she did bacon's rebellion as an ex.). I think we do the one-pager when she specifically tells us we have to do a one-pager. Usually she will tell us to do one-pagers after we read primary documents.
Back to top Go down
William Chau
Administrator
Administrator
William Chau

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:25 pm

Do you think the formatting for our notes is helpful? I think it's okay albeit a bit confusing. Hmmm, I should finish them up.

Last edited by William Chau on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Celeste Li

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 2:01 am

she gave us a list of themes on the back of the syllabus. we just have to refer to it and explain why it's that theme.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.   Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-4 Objectives and Main Themes.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Galloway's APUSH Class: '08 - '09. :: AP United States History. :: General Discussion: All things APUSH.-
Jump to: